Marihuana Infused Butter Recipe
Infused marihuana butter is a great way to ingest marijuana for medical purposes. It is easy to make, and once you know how, you will save on the amount of marihuana you might be currently using, if you are inhaling it. It is important to know that about 55% of the active ingredients are lost when marihuana is smoked. Ingesting marihuana for medicinal purposes is a healthier alternative.
1 lb of butter
4 cups of water
2 ounces of very finely ground dried marihuana
Have all these materials on hand before starting to make your marihuana butter.
- Strong grinder (coffee grinder is best)
- Medium sized heavy duty sauce pan/pot with lid, or slow cooker/crock pot. It is important that the stove element be the same size as the pot you use, this will allow for even heat distribution
- Measuring cup
- Whisk or large fork
- Cheese cloth to strain butter before cooling
- Large glass or plastic bowl to cool butter
- Rubber gloves
- Freezable containers to store butter
Please read the following note about quantities of dried marihuana used in this recipe before starting to make infused marihuana butter:
Note: To make strong butter you will need to adjust the amount of marihuana used. It is important to dose the Medicine for your personal needs. This recipe calls for two ounces of dried marihuana, this is the amount I choose to infuse into the butter. This will make exceptionally strong butter. However, if you find that the amount used in this recipe is too strong, just reduce the amount of Cannabis used. You can also dilute the butter by just using half a cup of Cannabis butter, and half a cup of regular butter, if your baked goods recipe calls for a cup of butter. In other words, simply adjust the amount used.
PROCESS FOR MAKING MARIHUANA INFUSED BUTTER
STEP 1 - GRINDING MARIHUANA
Grind your dried marihuana into a very, very fine powder. This is an important first step.
STEP 2 - COOKING METHOD
- Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil.
- When water is boiling, add the butter (1 lb).
- Once the butter has melted, add your finely ground dried marihuana.
- Reduce the heat to a low temperature and let mixture simmer.
- During the reduction in heat, remember to keep stirring until well mixed.
- Make sure there are no clumps of dried marihuana; the mixture should be evenly distributed.
- Place the lid on your pot and let simmer at a low heat setting.
- The marihuana butter is now ready to simmer and cook for 22 to 24 hours.
- This length of time is important to enable the extraction of the THC from the finely ground marihuana.
- DO NOT LET THE BUTTER COOK MORE THAN 24 HOURS BECAUSE THE BUTTER WILL BECOME BITTER.
- Every few hours add 2 to 3 tbsp of water to the butter mixture.
- Before going to bed add 1/2 cup of water.
STEP 3 - EXTRACTION METHOD
- Once the butter has simmered for 22-24 hours, turn off the heat.
- Let your butter solution sit and cool for about 5 minutes.
- You are now ready to extract the used marihuana material from the butter solution.Take your marihuana butter and pour it through lint free cheesecloth into freezable containers.
- Don't forget to put on rubber gloves before pouring the solution into the containers.
- Once you have poured the solution into the containers, squeeze out any remaining liquid from the cheese cloth.
- There will be very little THC ( if any ) left in the marihuana.
- Dispose of marihuana and cheese cloth.
- You are now ready to cool the solution.
STEP 4 - COOLING METHOD
- Place your marihuana butter solution, which should be in a freezable container, into the freezer.
- This process will separate the butter from the water in the solution.
- As the solution cools, you will notice that the top will become firm. It is almost like watching Jell-o set.
- Make sure that the butter has solidified before you attempt to remove and package your butter.
- It is a good idea to let the solution freeze for a minimum of six hours.
STEP 5 - REMOVING BUTTER AND STORING METHOD
- Removing your butter can be a little tricky.
- Use a plastic bag and remove the top slab which is the marihuana butter.
- Underneath the butter will be the frozen water, which can be disposed of.
- Pat down and dry the slab of butter and cut into amounts you will require for storing.
- Place butter portions into air tight containers and freeze.
- The butter will be preserved indefinitely, if kept frozen.
You can use your marihuana infused butter in any recipe that calls for butter. Keep a little out for toast as it is a great way to ingest before retiring to bed for the night.
Thank you to David Macleod for taking the time to write this step by step recipe.
Please Note: * Amounts ingested that will be most beneficial can vary from person to person. Start small and be patient until you find what works best for you.